There’s a Reason They Call them Crushes…

May 20, 2011

“If they were easy they would be called something else. “

– Dad to Samantha in John Hughes, Sixteen Candles

I have a crush. And it feels like a crush — in all the good and all the bad ways. Extreme highs and extreme lows and I’m back in high school again.

We barely know one another, but he’s always on my mind. I get a little rush of energy and excitement when I think about him — and seem I think about him all the time. (Is it because he’s thinking about me?)

Of course, I can’t tell if he likes me — and usually I can tell if a guy is interested. And I usually totally get it if he isn’t. And in this situation I can’t even reason through it. (This one doesn’t add up and it is AGONY not knowing.)

I can think of all the reasons why he might not like me and might not want to date me. But I just want a chance to show him all of the reasons he should like me. (I really am amazing. I promise.)

Of course when I’m around him I freeze up a bit. Not completely, but enough that the real me — the best version of me doesn’t come out. (What must he think of me after that conversation?)

Sheesh. What am I going to do about this?

Well, as with most crushes there probably isn’t anything to do. I’ve considered asking him out. But a “no” would make things awkward. Or I’m concerned that it would. And I want the chance to be friends even if he isn’t into me in that way. Cause he’s amazing. And I can’t be making it awkward for amazing men to be a part of my life.

I guess the thing to do is wait. See if he develops and interest in me and try not to be too crushed. Besides, I know there are other women in his life. It’s not like I’m the only female he’s ever met. He might already be in love with someone else.

How about you all? Anyone in deep crush right now? If not can you tell me about your worst crush? Or your best crush? Or just your best crush story? Let’s share!

About these ads
  1. Kris F. permalink
    May 20, 2011 10:28 am

I had a crush for a little while on the guy who did my tattoo….lol. It felt nice for a while, but was only temporary. I have no need to see him on a regular basis, and would feel awkward going in and asking him out. Plus, if I did and he said no, he could never ink me again.

• May 20, 2011 10:43 am

So you’re preserving your professional relationship? I see that.

• Nathan permalink
      May 20, 2011 12:03 pm

So, your crush was temporary, but the tattoo was permanent? :)

2. May 20, 2011 10:54 am

Wait is never the thing to do, because waiting is equal to doing nothing and hoping, that something will get done by someone or something else… I’ve been waiting for 2 years now, it sucks. But that’s the thing with crushes – it has it’s ups and down and the ups are so high, that you can live on their highs for pretty long.

Lately I feel like in high-school again too, because since a couple of months I have another crush too and I’m thorned… So I’m been pretty crushy lately and not only lately and I would have to say, that I wouldn’t trade it for some peace and quiet ;)

There’s also an award on my blog for you :)

• May 20, 2011 11:02 am

Thanks for sharing Teo! And I will take another look at your blog! I always love an award ;)

3. May 20, 2011 12:12 pm

No crush right now. I’ve got mostly fondness for my S.O., but all things “crush-like” disappeared some months ago.

Actually . . . can I say I have a crush on Thor’s abs? O:)

• May 20, 2011 1:58 pm

You CAN say you have a crush on Thor’s abs. And I’m glad you brought them up. Oh sigh. Abs.

4. Dakota permalink
    May 26, 2011 12:29 pm

Hi Crystal,

Thank you for your engaging comment. I can see what you’re saying. The world is a changing place… It’s funny to look back on things and see that they influence today in lots of ways, whether we notice it or not is another thing. :) Hope you have an amazing end of the week ahead, and a great weekend coming! :)

Dakota

p.s I LOVE your blog, and the things you write. Good depth in your articles. This one makes me grin. I’m in love with my crush now :) :)