What Have You Created?

July 9, 2010

So, I just got back from a counselling session. It was amazing. My mind is still reeling. In fact, I’m not sure how capable I am of wrapping my brain around the concepts we discussed.

My counsellor suggested that everything in my life is something I have created. Seems like an easy, self-responsible concept, right? Yeah…until you think about it really hard.

We were talking specifically about my current lack of a car and my struggle over being overweight. That for some reason my story for myself about myself included the idea that I should currently be carless and that I needed to be fat for some reason.

When, in reality I have the power to change these things just by mentally creating something else in my life. I can get the car of my dreams. I don’t have to walk all summer and save up for months. I can just have it. I can have the body of my dreams. I don’t have to eat certain foods and exercise during all of my spare time. I can just create it.

I’m sure I looked at her crossed-eyed while we were talking about it. In fact, right now the whole thing seems reminiscent of the scene from the Matrix wherein Neo met the oracle. He was upset and confused and then she just told him to eat the cookie and by the time he was done with it he felt better.

I mean I was really confused at first, but the more I think about it, the more I fell like she’s right — the more it all makes sense. I think part of my initial reaction was a little bit of anger. Like, “You really think I want this? I don’t want this! I DID NOT create it!”

But maybe I did. And maybe I can create something more. A new story for myself wherein I get a great car that I love and appreciate and I don’t have to sacrifice all summer to have it. And, in this story, I can be thin and beautiful and still love food and still be leisurely.

Maybe those things that I think are the rules are really only the rules if you chose to let them rule you. Maybe I don’t have to play by them. Maybe I can play by my own, new set of rules where I don’t have to be fat to feel safe and I don’t have to eat salad — I can eat cheeseburgers and chocolate and ride around in my new car with the windows down for my exercise.

Maybe I don’t even need a job. Maybe I’m already the author I was meant to be and I don’t need a publisher. I’ll be famous and loved without one!

Maybe not.

Well, I think it’s a theory worth testing. I’ll let you all know how it goes.

In the meantime, maybe you guys can tell me — what have you created.

1. Jerrod permalink
    July 9, 2010 3:22 pm

Wait, how do you go about attaining these things you want?

2. July 9, 2010 4:12 pm

Well, she suggested I read the book “Busting Loose from the Money Game” to start with. But, she said the book comes with a disclaimer. Weird things can start to happen when you bust loose. I don’t know what weird things, but I’m preparing myself.

Here’s a link to the book on Amazon (maybe you can read the intro): http://www.amazon.com/Busting-Loose-Money-Game-Mind-Blowing/dp/0470047496/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1278713453&sr=1-1-fkmr1

3. Amber permalink
    July 12, 2010 7:51 am

I’ve created 4 kids LOL! It was fun too. LMAO! Sorry. Anyway the whole thing makes me kind of raise my eye brows in a weird sort of way and I think it’s some of the oddest advice I’ve ever heard from a counselor, but certainly won’t hurt to try a different approach to things when life’s not going your way. Good luck with it all and let me know what you find out.

• July 12, 2010 10:54 am

Amber, first of all, from now on I dare you to quit bringing up your kids or your husband in your comments.

Second, my counselor is a genius. I’ve been seeing her for over a year now. She has a Ph. D. and she hasn’t steered me wrong yet.

4. David C permalink
    July 12, 2010 12:41 pm

It’s ironic talking about “what have you created?” on a wordpress blog.

I think you’re a victim of not looking at what you do for it being awesome and feeding off of that as well as you should, to do even bigger and better things… eventually ascending on your path to global domination.

5. Brandy permalink
    July 13, 2010 7:36 pm

Crystal – love your counselor eehheh even more because I get the great advice for FREE!!!!

what have I created – a great life. Really I feel like I have broken free from what everyone wanted, needed, and expected from me and now I have the life that is wonderful. I was selfish and it paid off.

Went back to school
    Divorced
    Took a chance with a new firm
    Fell in love again
    let myself be happy

Yes I still need to work on some of the same things you have Crystal…I am trying to understand that at 30 my body will never be the same as 18 and that I do have to workout to take the fat off….(still not doing this like I should). But I have taken big jumps in the last ten years that have taken me to this new life I have created.

One of the best ways to keep me on my path is a bucket list – yes it works. I put little things like back an apple pie and big things like travel the world. It is so fun to cross things off the list!!!! It is wonderful.

ok so that was more then just a comment –

b

• July 13, 2010 8:06 pm

I laughed out loud when I read that you love getting my counsellor’s advice for free! That’s hilarious! I’m so glad that your life is so great! I miss you more an more all the time — is that weird?

6. Enlightened Wes permalink
    July 14, 2010 11:26 am

I have created the entire universe ;). And I change it at will every day, both consciously and subconsciously.