TV, My Achilles Heel

August 22, 2010

Okay, I always tell people that the reason I often leave the house to write is because I get distracted at my apartment. Too much to do there, you know? Well, the truth seems to really be that there is too much to watch on TV.

I’m ashamed, but I can’t deny the truth — I have spent almost this entire weekend on my couch. Pathetic!

I really don’t have much more to say about it except to feel sorry for myself for zoning out and clicking through the channels endlessly.

Maybe I should get rid of my TV. But then that sounds lonely. I live having something moving in room. But then, it distracts me too and I can’t get anything done. Even with the stupid thing on mute I can manage to just sit and stare at it.

Evil technology!

1. August 22, 2010 6:28 pm

Ha! I’m totally with you on this one. I vote for you getting rid of the TV. People will think you’re a new-age hippie freak, but it’s worth it. I did get rid of my TV (the whole machine, not just cable) a few years ago for exactly the reasons you describe.

Basically, I’m an addict. If you give me a TV, I will watch it until my eyes burn and then I will watch it some more.

I don’t even watch the educational stuff like the history channel or whatever. I watch all the other crap, from sitcoms to “reality” TV to infomercials for exercise equipment that will give me the flat abs of my dreams. And then I finally drag myself away, six hours or whatever later, having learned nothing, and beating myself up over wasting all that time on garbage. Maybe you’re watching better shows than I do, I don’t know. But seriously, when I had a TV, I got nothing done.

Life is better without one after the first couple of weeks of withdrawal. Occasionally I wish I had one, usually if I’ve got the flu or something, but really, I just do more now. All the little things I have to do, but also all the things I want to do. When the TV was there calling to me, that’s all I did.

As for having something moving in the room, you could get a pet?

• August 22, 2010 7:13 pm

Well, Pets aren’t allowed inmy apartment — but i have thought of that. And honestly there are a few shows that I purposly watch. So I wonder — is is worth having a TV as a possible distraction just to ensure that I can catch Castle on Monday Nights and Mad Men on Sundays? Probably not…I just haven’t gotten to the point that I can completely give it up yet.

2. August 22, 2010 6:43 pm

I put my desk against the same wall where the TV is placed, which means you can’t see it while sitting there- I think it makes it easier to focus… or at least I’d like to think it does 😉

3. August 22, 2010 9:59 pm

Yikes, I can relate that the tv is distracting, but more of a problem for me during football season.

4. dave c permalink
    August 22, 2010 10:38 pm

Pick a day or two as TV-free days. Eventually you won’t miss it.

….says the guy who works for a satellite dish company with the associated company benefits.

5. Tanya permalink
    August 23, 2010 6:19 am

I haven’t owned a TV since I moved out of my parents’ house and I love it! On occasions that we want to watch a show or a movie, we just use the laptop (and Hulu). Without TV in our lives, we still feel too busy and often wonder how people find the time for it. I guess I make up for it by trolling blogs …. ? 🙂

• August 23, 2010 7:45 am

I was thinking of you this weekend because I know you had been keeping the TV in the closet for a while there. There are really only a couple of nights a week that I want to watch TV — Sunday Night and Monday night. But as soon as I get home I click the dang thing on. And on the weekends as soon as I get out of bed I click it on. AH!

6. Jacqui permalink
    August 23, 2010 7:00 am

Many TV shows (at least the ones I like to watch) are available on computer after they have aired. For example; things that I watch…”Survivor”…”CSI”, etc. I just go to the website of whatever channel my show is on and usually there is a link for the most recent episode. This might be a fix for those shows you don’t want to miss.

One of my patient’s told me a while ago, that she was watching TV too much too…but didn’t want to get rid of her TV. So she decided at what TIME it would be OK for her to watch TV; then set the TV up on one of those timer things…so her only part thereafter was to only watch TV when it came on by itself. (And when it turned off…she did not turn it back on.)

She found that after a 30 day trial of this – that she often tended to NOT watch the TV even when it DID come on!

I forget the time period. . . but I think it takes less than 30 days for an action to become a “habit”. Most likely, less TV for all of us would be a good habit to have!

Of course, getting out of the house has it’s positives also!

• August 23, 2010 7:46 am

I think I need to put myself on a timer — decide how much TV is okay and when it’s okay. I have a lot of things I could be working on that are very rewarding but when the TV is on it’s like my mind goes blank. I will still probably leave the house for some of my work.

7. August 23, 2010 9:49 am

This reminds me of that great line from Mr. Show: “TV is a nickname, and nicknames are for friends, and television is no friend of mine!”

8. August 23, 2010 12:55 pm

before you get rid of your TV…which are your favorite shows? I am looking for new shows to watch online from episode 1–this summer I’ve gone through Dirt and Mad Men, and started over on True Blood and Scrubs. I’ve also been considering It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia. Any other recommendations?

• August 23, 2010 1:17 pm

It’s Always sunny in P{hiladelphia is a good one. I also love Castle and I have liked Bones and Criminal Minds for a long time. Sex in the City is one of my favorites as well. The first few seasons of Burn Notice were good. I was also a HUGE Quantam leap fan back in the day and I like cheesy stuff like Highlander and that old vampire cop show — I think it was called Dark Night. My current Cheese TV is Drop Dead Diva.

9. Ghetto_Philosopher permalink
    August 23, 2010 3:51 pm

You and me both girl, you and me both. This reminds me of something I wrote over two years ago: http://roundtable84.wordpress.com/2008/02/20/turn-off-your-tv-turn-on-your-mind/

10. dave c permalink
    August 23, 2010 9:37 pm

Question for you: Do you have a DVR? That cut down on the idle TV watching.

…but now it’s like a job.

11. August 24, 2010 7:52 am

I have the same problem with the Internet. I was never addicted to TV in the later years because where I grew up there were mostly crappy things to watch. 😛 I want to break free from the Internet, but today’s world is all about it! So how can I live without it?! Ugh!

12. August 30, 2010 8:25 am

I’m really getting into your blog. I can relate to how you are feeling. The TV and the computer both can be a tug of war for my attention. Thankfully my wife like TV and watching movies almost as much as I do.