Pretty Fingers

September 4, 2010

So, I’m visiting my sister this weekend. She lives in one of the towns I went to college in (she transferred here half-way through too) and because I went to school here every visit makes me reminisce just a little bit.

This morning as I was laying in bed trying to decide if it was time to get up, I was thinking about the different things about me that make me feel pretty and sexy.

Some of them are things that I just am, some of them are things that I do and some of them are things that I have done to me.  No, not those kinds of things. I’m talking about things you go to the salon to have done for you and to you. Like getting your hair done — or a facial.

Back when I was in college (when I was a so-called “poor student”) I was actually able to afford a lot more of these kinds of things. Plus, there were cheaper in my college town. And this morning I was thinking about how I really miss being able to have acrylic fingernails.

They made me feel pretty and sexy all day long every day. No matter what I wore, whether I had done my hair or how much I weighed my fingernails always looked pretty. And it felt good.

When I graduated from college I was actually looking for a job that that paid enough to allow me salon bits in my budget. But, to no avail. I tried to keep up the fingernail maintenance for a while, but it is way more expensive in the town I now live in and my income ($8.50 an hour) just didn’t make it a possibility.

I’m making more now, but I haven’t been able to ferret out the extra $50 a month — that like my car insurance payment.

But, I still miss my pretty fingernails. I almost want to get a set done while I’m here, but I’m afraid I won’t be able to afford to get them filled back home.  (Plus, my sister would have to wait around for me while I got them done and she definitely wouldn’t like that.)

Oh, but I just think of all the great things about having a set — beyond the self-esteem boost of feeling extra pretty and extra sexy. The truth is, there is nothing like an acrylic nail back scratch. We are talking massive tingles. In fact any kind of scratch is amazing with acrylic nails. I’m a big head scratcher and when you have a full set of those long, shiny, acrylic nails and you push the back  of your nails up from the nape of your neck to the crown of your head it’s amazing.

Tingles everywhere and blood rushing to your face amazing.

I think I might need to reassess my budget and see if I can afford to keep up the nail habit after I’m done travelling this fall. Or, maybe I’ll get a set for my NYC trip. Or maybe I WILL get a set today while I’m at the mall with my sister. (Nah, she really would hate that and she already has fingernails so I can’t bribe her with a set of her own.)

Even if it is $50 that might be worth it to feel a little prettier and sexier every day for the next month.

1. September 4, 2010 6:19 pm

I think April will have a set of acrylic nails by tomorrow sunset! She gives great massages and now you’ve got me to thinking about scratching. Have a wonderful Labor Day.

2. zul-mokhtar permalink
    September 5, 2010 7:53 am

I wish I could have a pretty finger too!

3. Becky permalink
    September 7, 2010 3:29 pm

Hi I’m still finding reading what you write in your blog extremely interesting so I don’t want you to think I’m a nutcase I’m a very normal woman. I have a job and a family hopes and goals I just feel a connection to you and you writing I’m hoping that we may become friends. I live in Canada, Ontario if you don’t live close that’s OK I have a lot of E friends or at least that’s what I call them. People who I’ve met online. That’s the beauty of the internet and blogging I can have a friend on the other side of the world and it’s OK
    I do have a blog but it’s all about bodywork you may not find it all that interesting (craftsmancollision.wordpress.com) my husband has a collision business and I started it to promote his business, but no worries I’m in the works of creating unitedharmony.wordpress.com but i work full time and a half combined with my husband’s business and kids there isn’t much me time anyways I just wanted to say hi again email me sometime because I’d love to get to know you a bit better

4. September 7, 2010 7:06 pm

Haha, you just reminded me of my obsession with acrylic fingernails in high school. That, and tanning. I worked at a telemarketing company and made a ton of money in commission, so I was able to spendy freely on clothes, nails and tanning – a powerful combination in one’s teenage years. Obviously, when I went to college and left the cushy job, I didn’t have enough money for my Spanish book and the fabulous nails, so I gave it up. Reading this post just made me want to go to the nail salon … just once for some pretty nails … or maybe forget everything I learned about skin cancer and get just a few months at the tanning bed. I mean, it must have SOME health benefits, right?

• September 8, 2010 8:37 am

It increases your vitamin D levels and can ward off depression…well the real sun can do that. Maybe tanning beds can too.

5. September 8, 2010 12:47 pm

I’m in the exact same place, only with pedicures. I used to be able to afford to get my toe nails done twice a month. And I LOVED it. After reading your blog and thinking about it, it seems like it might be worth scrimping on food to get my toes done this week.