And So I Fell; Are You Falling With Me?

October 1, 2010

When I left for my trip to NYC it was still basically summer. The heat was hanging on, the grass was still green and the leaves were all still bright green and hanging onto the trees.

But in the week I was gone fall happened in SD. The tree in front of my apartment is now full of bright yellow leaves clinging loosely to the skeleton of black branches. The light is almost golden for most of the day and the air smells different. Like maple.

The air is also crisp as it flicks across my cheeks. My favorite part of the day now is when I have to go move my car every 2 hours (because I don’t have a parking spot at my office). As soon as I walk out the door I take a deep breath and start to grin. Driving downtown there are little yellow leaves skipping across the streets and between the cars and all the shadows I see are so long.

Can you tell that fall is my favorite season?

I think I write at least one blog about it every year and they almost come of as romantic. I guess I’ve fallen in love with Fall. I know that it is the time when all of nature is going into a hibernation mode. And part of me starts to hibernate when the days get so short and there’s no sunlight in the morning. But somehow, I feel more alive during this time of year. It invigorates me. And it makes me think of harvest and my creative juices start flowing.

What can I create this fall. I feel something coming. In the past few weeks I have had several ideas for great short stories and long works of fiction. I also found out while in NYC that Sky’s production company will be producing one-act plays by female authors this year. I have a few that are finished already, but I have half a mind to turn a show I haven’t finished into a one-act just for them.

Oh…I have to go move my car again. Yippee! I hope you are all enjoying the fall in some way too.

P.S. For posterity sake I will be posting the rest of the bits about my trip back on the days they happened (Rather than on the days I finally finished writing them and editing the photos). So, if you don’t already subscribe you might want to. Otherwise, please click back and check out the rest of the things I saw in NYC. I have a lot more to say about it – especially after a week of reflection!

1. October 1, 2010 12:45 pm

Life is good this way. We must have one season to experience the other.

Fall in SC will be here in 3 more weeks.

2. Brianne permalink
    October 1, 2010 2:25 pm

Fall is my favorite too! NY Autumns are gorgeous!

• October 1, 2010 2:48 pm

Maybe the next time I go to your part of the world I’ll have to get there while the leaves are turning!

3. October 1, 2010 5:42 pm

Fall is the circle of world , we can not keep in the special season . Remember ……..? life is a wheel . Sad or happy is the feature of world.

4. October 1, 2010 7:00 pm

I am a fall baby so I really truly love fall 🙂

5. October 1, 2010 9:51 pm

Fall is my favorite season too! Thanks for stopping by my blog… I do have a great pumpkin pie recipe! I’ll have to post it this fall. 🙂

• October 2, 2010 4:33 pm

I’m more of a fruit pie person myself — my mom makes the best Apple pie. Her secret: Cardamom. (Which, I happen to be allergic too, blast it!) It’s delicious. I’ll check back to your blog for more recipes. I have an amazing fudge recipe (10 minutes and 3 ingredients) that I break out at Christmas time. Maybe I can write a guest post for you! And I will definitely Be looking for that pumpkin pie recipe. The older I get the more I love pumpkin pie!

• October 4, 2010 1:24 pm

Definitely! We should talk later, and maybe we could work out a time to guest post for each other! 🙂

6. October 2, 2010 10:29 am

Everything cannot be the same at every time. Things will change; will come and will go. Life is like that.

7. October 3, 2010 12:54 am

You actually have fall in South Dakota …I thought you guys had winter and whatever. Don’t read that as a slight…and yes I know it gets yea hot .. but you really have Autumn?

Regards,
    Doug

• October 4, 2010 8:17 am

We do have fall in SD. It is rather short (perceptively) compared to other seasons…like say winter. And it comes rather early…and isn’t as vibrant as in some places. But the 2 to 3 glorious weeks that it looks like fall are my favorite.

8. October 3, 2010 7:08 pm

I’m going to pay more attention this fall. Usually I grumble about winter coming, summer being over. I’ve never liked the fall. I’ve always like spring/summer. But I am committed to enjoying this season this year. Thanks for that 🙂

• October 4, 2010 8:18 am

Oi…I hate the summer. I hate to sweat and it can get really hot here in the summer months. July and August are usually rather agonizing for me. But this year they were pretty mild.

9. October 5, 2010 3:25 am

Autumn in NYC is unbeatable. You’ll have to come back to the City during the fall next year!

• October 5, 2010 10:59 am

I doubt I’ll be able to make it next year, but it is now officially on my bucket list. And hopefully I’ll be able to stay in a beautiful hotel and see museums and leaves turning every day and a show every night. Dream vaca!