Critical Math

October 29, 2010

“Oh, I’m so tired. I’ve been doing math all day!” I said to my dad a few minutes ago.

“Yuck. how much of that do you have to do?”

“I dunno, I’m going to study and practice all weekend. I wonder how much math I can actually do before it doesn’t do any good to do any more?”

“You mean before you reach critical math?”

We both laughed at that. Man I needed a laugh — even if it was at a pun. (Albeit an incredibly clever pun; my dad is kind of a genius.)

Well this morning I woke up, got breakfast and did math.

Then I went to the chiropractor, voted and did math.

Then I met an amazing friend for lunch, had a great chat and did math.

Then I went to visit a friend at work had another great chat and came to my parent’s house with the intent of doing more math.

As you can see, the math isn’t happening.

I’m spent. Tired. All used up. My brain can only handle so much math before it feels rung out like a dirty kitchen towel. (Yes, I’m saying that my brain feels like a dirty kitchen towel.) I was going to take one more practice test — I mean the whole test — today. But I might have to go take a nap. Maybe after dinner. Maybe not.

I bought myself a lobster tail for dinner tonight. I intended it to be a reward for all my hard work today. I don’t know if I did enough work to have earned a lobster tail. But I don’t feel like I can do any more.

I have to take the GRE on Monday. I was planning on taking a practice test today, tomorrow and another on Sunday. But at this moment I don’t know if I can even take one today — and I still can’t imagine I’ll do too well on the math portion, despite all the practice problems.

But I am sure that I’m better for the studying that I did. Now, I’m exhausted.

I think I am going to take a nap. I hope I don’t wind up with math equations attacking me in my dreams.

(P.S. If you’re the type to pray, please pray for me. As I said the GRE is on Monday and I still haven’t decided which schools I want to apply to. Does anyone know the top 5 Creative Writing MFA programs in the country which might want a writer like me?)

1. Moniba permalink
    October 29, 2010 10:19 pm

I’ll pray for you 🙂 I hope those equations stay in your mind atleast til monday =D Humorous blog!

2. Matt79 permalink
    October 30, 2010 2:34 pm

I did a degree in math, which left me pretty fed up with it, so you definitely have my sympathy! I hope your test goes well and the practice helps.

3. October 31, 2010 8:12 pm

Good luck Monday!!

• October 31, 2010 8:44 pm

Thanks everyone for the wwll-wishes. If I have any energy left after the test I promise to post an update tomorrow!

4. November 1, 2010 6:12 pm

Shucks, I’m late…but you’re always in my enlightened thoughts, Crys….

Now I am wondering what happened!!!!! 🙂

• November 2, 2010 9:24 am

Well, I took the test yesterday and I got instant results on the Verbal and Quantitative (math) scores. I was unsure what a good score on this test was so yesterday afternoon I Googled it. I did WAY better than the average person who takes the test and reports their results. I didn’t do quite as well as the average person who goes to one of the top 10 schools in the country. So, I’d say I got a B. Which is fine. I can’t afford Dartmouth or Princeton anyway.

• November 2, 2010 5:18 pm

That is very impressive. It’s so funny how mystical they make the scores… I remember when I took my SATs…it was like. I did good? Really? ….Why? lol

I thought you’d already accomplished a degree. What’re you going for now? Graduate School?

Are you just schooling to do it? …or is there a greater goal?

• November 2, 2010 5:22 pm

I do already have an undergraduate degree — almost two actually. So yes, grad school is the plan. I’d like an MFA in creative writing.