New Years … with Mom and Dad?

December 29, 2010

Okay, last night I finalized all my stuff for my final application — Iowa. I just have to make the final edits and type up my answers to the financial aid request page. I’ll finish that up either tonight or tomorrow night (and if something goes horribly wrong I have Friday off so I can do it then). And I plan on mailing it on Friday. It’ll be post marked three days early!

Yesterday when I started seeing the light at the end of this tunnel I got all excited and decided that I wanted to celebrate when I was all done. I also realized that this Friday (the day that I know I’ll be finished) is New Year’s Eve. So, texted a few friends to see what they were all up to and let them know that I wanted to celebrate.

Guess what? All but one is busy or unwilling to commit.

Great.

I’m getting flashbacks from my 30th birthday party that didn’t happen.

This is a big deal. A HUGE accomplishment for me. I want to make a big deal out of it dammit. Well last night after getting all the texts back from my friends I let my mom know what had happened and this morning she e-mailed me an alternative. She offered to take me out to dinner and then back to her house to have some wine with her and dad. She even said I could spend the night (if I’ll be drinking).

And really there is a blizzard coming to town, so maybe we should just cook steaks at the house and not go out.

My parents are early night folks so she said I could go out with friends after that if I wanted.

Sweet, right?

Very sweet. But it makes me feel kind of lame. I can’t round up enough friends for a good celebration but my mommy will take me to dinner. Oh, sigh. I don’t want to try to celebrate this all by myself, but I feel like the Universe is isolating me during my important moments lately. And of course, it makes me wish I had a special fella to share it with.

I don’t know what it is that makes me feel a little bit like my New Years Eve is some sort of reflection on my life as a whole but if it is…what is showing in this reflection? Do I need more friends? Or just more friends in this town? Am I turning into a lonely old woman? The idea of going out to a bar sure makes me feel old. I just want a few important people to celebrate with me. Damn.

So, probably dinner with the fam and a movie with the one friend who is willing to live it up with me.

I feel so lame.

1. December 29, 2010 10:00 am

Congratulations on getting your applications pretty much finished! That’s a shame about the lack of friend availability – I’ve had a similar dilemma this year. How can so many of them be having babies in so short a time span? My alternative plan is to go to a New Year’s Eve speed dating party, but this option only exists because I live in a big city. If you lived in London I’d invite you along!

• December 29, 2010 2:53 pm

At this point, if I could get to London I would beg to tag along! That sounds like a great way to ring in the New Year. I hope I get to read all about it on your blog. (Also, your suggestion is also very good because I think my next personal task/accomplishment might be getting back to the idea of drawing a man into my life.)

2. December 29, 2010 10:58 am

Holidays are crazy. Maybe you should have your celebration next week.

Don’t feel lame. Free dinner is never lame.

• December 29, 2010 2:55 pm

PERFECT!

That will be my mantra on Friday: Free dinner is never lame.

A sentence similar to that one has gotten me through several bad dates, it should serve me marvelously with my parents — I mean, I already like them.

3. December 29, 2010 11:39 pm

I think we all go through periods where we have fewer friends… or, more specifically, fewer friends who are willing to go out and party. It seems to be a natural part of getting older, sad as it may be.

I know this doesn’t make you feel any better, but I really don’t think it’s any reason to feel “lame,” as you say.

“You’re NOT a loser, Jerry Maguire.”

“I never said I was.”

“….”

🙂

• December 30, 2010 10:23 am

Thanks, Dennis! I guess part of the this is also that I can’t really think of an appropriate way to celebrate my current accomplishment.

• December 30, 2010 11:07 am

I’d say appropriate = anything alcoholic. But, I may not be the best judge of these things. 😉

4. December 30, 2010 1:46 pm

What about the never ending struggle to keep your apartment clean? You could always celebrate by cleaning your apartment…just kidding. =)
    I stopped by because I liked a comment you wrote somewhere (“don’t tease the ignorant German girl”).

Congratulations on your application. Those things are such a pain to complete!
    I wish you a happy 2011; may all of your dreams come true.

• December 30, 2010 2:29 pm

Ha ha! I’m actually planning on cleaning my apartment all day tomorrow (and then again on Saturday if I must)! It’s shameful how messy it is at this point — I’ve been neglecting it to fill out my applications. Poor apartment. Thanks for dropping by. I suppose you knew the answer to my question about the tamales?

• December 30, 2010 2:33 pm

I did actually, because my family used to do tamales for Christmas, also. I don’t even like tamales myself, but I’ve seen them eaten, so I knew.

5. December 30, 2010 2:18 pm

Congrats on getting your applications filled out! How exciting! And that’s pretty sweet of your parents. I’ll be hanging out with mine! lol 😀

6. January 4, 2011 8:42 pm

Happy New Year, Crystal! Don’t feel bad. New Year’s is so hyped up, but I am of the belief that most people are disappointed and do not have that much fun. I’ve actually spent many years with my parents on New Years, and had a blast. I hope you ended up having fun!

• January 5, 2011 8:22 am

I did end up having a good time with mom and dad. We went out to dinner at their favorite restaurant and ate hot wings and had the chef make cherries jubilee at our table. Nothing like a ball of flame to say celebration, eh? Dad dared us to stay up all night and then got a little drunk and fell asleep in his lazy boy at like 9 p.m. Mom and I went to bed shortly after that and the rest of my night was a deep sleep punctuated by Happy New Year E-mails from various time zones. It wasn’t quite the level of celebration I would have wanted for finishing my grad school applications, but I don’t know how I could have done it better. Even now I don’t have a good idea.